Environmental Guidance Documents
Guidance documents are published to further clarify regulations and to assist in implementation of environmental
regulations, and to encourage compliance with environmental requirements.
- Air Quality (Asbestos, Compliance, Emissions Inventory, Modeling, Permitting, Source
- Environmental Laboratories
- Land and Waste Management (Emergency Response, Hazardous Waste Management, Mining,
Radioactive Waste Management, Recycling, Solid Waste Management)
- Water (Drinking Water, Wastewater, Groundwater, Agricultural Facilities, Storm Water, Dams
and Reservoirs Safety, Wetlands, Recreational Waters)
- Quality Assurance Project Plans (QAPPs)
Bureau of Air Quality
All Guidance Documents for the Bureau of Air Quality (BAQ) are in pdf format.
- 112(r) Guidance Documents, Chemical Accident Prevention Provisions
- Asbestos Regulatory Determinations
- Emissions Inventory
- AIRS Facility Subsystem
Source Classification Codes and Emission Factor Listing for Criteria Air Pollutants, (EPA 450/4-90-003,
Formerly the primary emission factor tool for emission estimation, but has been
largely replaced by the FIRE system described below. It is still sometimes used to locate Source
Classification Codes (SCC) for manufacturing processes more quickly.
- Emission Factors, AP-42, Volume
1, 5th Edition (U.S. EPA)
Serves as the standard reference manual describing air pollutant
emission generating activities, estimations of emissions related to activity levels, control methods and
efficiencies, and default values when actual data are not available. Copy available for review.
- Emission Inventory Section Procedure Manual (WORKING DRAFT)
Documents emission estimation
methodologies, quality control/quality assurance and federal data reporting. Emission estimation
methodologies are incorporated by reference from Emission Inventory Improvement Program (EIIP) Preferred
Methods documents. These technical documents are available at http://www.epa.gov/ttn/chief/eiip/techreport/index.html
- Factor Information
Retrieval System (FIRE)
A software package that contains the most recent emission factor
information available from EPA.
- Fuel Oil (#4) Maximum % Sulfur
Usage, Letter from EPA regarding (11/28/1995) (318KB)
Describes the percentage of sulfur to use
when making potential emissions determinations for #4 oil, copy available for review.
- Other Guidance
Bureau of Land and Waste Management
Quality Assurance Project Plans (QAPPs)
Bureau of Water
Back to top