Joint Federal and State Application
Dominion Energy South Carolina, Inc.
Congaree River Site
Columbia, South Carolina
Submitted to Army Corps of Engineers on September 29, 2020
The Joint Federal and State Application has been prepared on behalf of Dominion Energy South Carolina, Inc. (DESC) for the Modified Removal Action (MRA) for tar-like material (TLM) and impacted sediments within a portion of the Congaree River in Columbia, South Carolina.
The project area includes the proposed removal areas and landside area necessary for access and operations to support the removal activities. The MRA Plan delineates a revised approach toward completing a “Modified” Removal Action to address impacted sediment that exists within a portion of the Congaree River. The MRA contemplates the removal of TLM and impacted sediment from two separate areas that may be able to receive a favorable USACE permit decision for the necessary cofferdam as well as all other required regulatory approvals. The emphasis of the MRA is to remove sediments from areas that are close to the shoreline where human dermal contact or exposure is more likely to occur and areas where more concentrated tar-like material exist.
The currently proposed MRA consists of two areas. Area 1 is approximately 2.6 acres and as proposed, has a similar footprint to the original full-scale Phase 1 Area. Area 2 is approximately 0.5 acres. Assuming successful completion of the MRA, an estimated 73 percent of the total TLM will have been removed from the Congaree River.
The Joint Federal and State Application consists of the Application and 16 Attachments that serve as supplemental information to the Application. The Joint Federal and State Application is available to be downloaded below:
- Joint Federal and State Application
- Attachment A: Nationwide Permit 38 Checklist
- Attachment B: Design Drawings
- Attachment C: Project Description
- Attachment D: Wetland and Stream Delineation Report
- Attachment E: Names and Addresses of Adjacent Property Owners
- Attachment F: Other Permits and Approvals or Denials
- Attachment G: Draft Navigation Plan with USCG Application
- Attachment H: Mussel Relocation Plan
- Attachment I: Congaree River Backwater Analysis and No-Rise Certifications with Floodplain Coordinator Approvals
- Attachment J: Lower Flow Sensitivity Study
- Attachment K: Draft Stormwater Management and Sediment Control Plan
- Attachment L: Historic and Archaeological Properties Identification
- Attachment M: Cultural Resource Identification Survey, Archaeological Data Recovery Plan, Draft Memorandum of Agreement and Current Recovery License
- Attachment N: UXO Management Plans
- Attachment O: Engineering Evaluations: Reinforced Rockfill Cofferdam Conceptual Design, Stability Analysis, West Bank Erosion Potential Evaluation and River Bottom Erosion Potential Evaluation
- Attachment P: Restoration Operation, Maintenance and Monitoring Plan