Hurricane Florence Coastal Recovery & Requirements

Emergency Orders

DHEC-OCRM conducted aerial reconnaissance and field visits, and coordinated with local governments to assess impacts from Hurricane Florence. Based on the information collected and the beach conditions observed, DHEC OCRM is cancelling the state-wide blanket emergency orders noticed on September 11, 2018 for activities to conduct minor renourishment, sand scraping or installation of sandbags for all counties except Georgetown and Horry Counties.

Other counties, local governments, or individual property owners experiencing an emergency situation due to the impacts of Hurricane Florence may still request an individual emergency order by contacting Blair Williams, OCRM Critical Area Permitting Manager, at 843-953-0200 or via email at

Emergency General Permits

The Hurricane Florence Emergency General Permits (EGPs) will remain in effect for Georgetown and Horry Counties. Property owners in these counties needing repairs to in-water structures due to impacts from Hurricane Florence may apply for individual coverage under these general permits. The Hurricane Florence EGPs are being rescinded in Charleston, Berkeley, Dorchester, Colleton, Beaufort and Jasper Counties.

For additional information or assistance with authorization for repairs to structures due to Hurricane Florence, please contact DHEC OCRM’s Critical Area Permitting Section at 843-953-0200 or via email at

Authorization beyond the scope of the EGPs may depend on DHEC OCRM's assessment of the extent of damage to a structure. Additional resources on authorizations for non-emergency activities are provided here.

Emergency General Permit (EGP) applications may be submitted to

Report Erosion and Damage

DHEC OCRM encourages residents and officials to report damage to beachfront structures, including seawalls, revetments, walkovers and erosion using DHEC OCRM's MyCoast web and mobile application. This information will assist DHEC OCRM in prioritizing post-disaster damage assessment and coordination with coastal counties and municipalities. Property owners should also report damage to structures, including homes, to their local building officials.