Onsite Wastewater Regulation Revisions Public Comment Period
Stakeholders may submit written comments to David Vaughan, Division Director of Onsite Wastewater, Rabies Prevention, and Enforcement, S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control, 2600 Bull Street, Columbia, South Carolina 29201 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. To be considered, comments must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on September 28, 2020, the close of the drafting comment period.
The Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) is proposing to combine all four of the onsite wastewater system regulations into one streamlined version, R.61-56, Onsite Wastewater Systems, and make other revisions as outlined below.
In an effort to ensure our valued stakeholders are able to provide input and are informed about the proposed changes, virtual informational meetings were held with online and phone access to provide interested persons the ability to participate remotely. Proposed revisions include:
- To reduce permitting timeframes, the revision will introduce a new schedule of site evaluation procedures when pertaining to subdivisions.
- New system design standards based on current science and technology have been added. It will also improve organization of information.
- The revision will adjust operational practices as well as refine the applicability of the regulation such that it only applies to onsite wastewater licensed septage pumpers.
- The revision will create a tiered licensing system as well as define continuing education unit (CEU) requirements for all onsite wastewater system installers. There will be a delay in implementation of the CEU requirements.
- Any other improvements brought forth during the revision process and deemed essential.
During the meeting, Department staff discussed proposed changes and encouraged stakeholder input. These meetings also served as a time for stakeholders to ask the Department questions about the proposed revisions. Establishing and fostering partnerships with our valued stakeholders is important to us and we value your input.
The sessions were recorded and can be viewed below.