A recording of the public meeting and information provided at the meeting can be found below.
Proposed Increase to the Annual Disposal Rate at the Anderson Regional Class 3 Landfill
Waste Connections, Inc. (the Applicant) operates the Anderson Regional Class 3 Landfill at 203 Landfill Road in Belton, SC. The Applicant has requested an increase to their annual disposal rate. Currently, the landfill’s permit allows the facility to dispose of 438,000 tons of waste each fiscal year (July 1 – June 30). In FY2018, the Anderson Regional landfill disposed of 426,631 tons of waste. This means that they operated at nearly 97% of their permitted annual disposal rate. The facility is required to meet the following qualifications in order to be approved for an increase in their annual disposal rate:
- The facility is required to be operating within 20 percent of the permitted yearly disposal rate;
- The yearly disposal rate listed in their permit is required to be less than 30 percent of the total amount of waste generated for disposal in a Class 3 Landfill; and,
- If the facility meets the two conditions above, they can receive the lesser of either 150,000 tons or the increase in waste generated across all of South Carolina since their last tonnage increase.
- February 13, 2020 – Waste Connections submitted a request to increase the annual disposal rate at the Anderson Regional Class 3 Landfill.
- March 10, 2020 – DHEC sent Waste Connections an administratively complete letter informing them that they have 15 days to complete the noticing requirements outlined in the regulations.
- March 18, 2020 – Waste Connections placed a notice in both the Belton News Chronicle and the Williamston Journal to satisfy the requirement that an ad be placed in a local newspaper for one (1) publication in an area paper.
- March 24, 2020 – Waste Connections provided an affidavit of publication from both papers that certified that the notice was run.
- May 29, 2020 – DHEC notices the draft permit and public meeting by placing an ad in The Anderson Independent Mail and sending letters to all adjacent landowners and those who have requested to be notified.
- June 3, 2020 – DHEC notices the draft permit and public meeting by placing an ad in both the Belton News Chronicle and the Williamston Journal.
- June 30, 2020 – DHEC will host a Public Meeting to provide information on the proposed expansion and to receive comments.
- July 10, 2020 – The official comment period will close on this date. All comments must be submitted by 5 pm on July 10, 2020. Contact Justin Koon at (803) 898-1339, or by email at email@example.com for more information.
Public Notice, Draft Permit and Public Meeting
DHEC has determined that the permit application meets all technical requirements of the solid waste regulations and has written a draft permit for the proposed expansion. The draft permit can be accessed from the public notice page. The draft permit has not been approved and is open for public comment through July 10, 2020. All comments will be considered before a final decision is made on the draft permit.
DHEC held a Public Meeting to discuss the proposed increase to the tonnage rate on June 30, 2020 at 6:30 pm.
- Recording of public meeting held on June 30, 2020
- Public Meeting Presentation
- Additional resources provided during the public meeting
An option to attend the meeting in person at the Anderson County Civic Center was arranged by officials of Anderson County.
What to Expect after the Public Meeting
Once the comment period closes, DHEC will review all comments and determine if any modifications need to be made. After all comments are addressed, DHEC will issue a final decision to either approve or deny the request. The Department will put a notice in The Anderson Independent Mail, The Belton News Chronicle, and The Williamston Journal and send notices to all persons who have requested to be notified of the final decision. If you would like to be notified of DHEC’s final decision, please contact Justin Koon at (803) 898-1339, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to our mailing list for this project.