Smart Business Recycling Program
Businesses – large or small – purchase goods and services, use energy and water, and generate and dispose of waste. In fact, more than half of the waste generated in South Carolina comes from businesses.
Operating in an environmentally responsible fashion, businesses can lead by example with everyday practices that help protect and preserve the state’s environment and natural resources. Benefits of waste reduction and recycling include: providing cost savings from reduced disposal and material costs; generating potential revenue from the sale of recycled material; and demonstrating leadership and commitment in your community, possibly attracting new customers.
The Smart Business Recycling Program is a free, confidential initiative for businesses and designed to:
- Help reduce their environmental impact;
- Provide technical assistance to begin or expand waste reduction and recycling programs; and
- Recognize recycling and sustainability efforts with an annual awards program.
The program – created by the S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control’s (DHEC) Office of Solid Waste Reduction and Recycling – offers these services through phone/email consultations, site visits, workshops, and other resources.
What does the Smart Business Recycling Program offer?
Schedule a free and confidential site visit
- Download the Smart Business Recycling Guide
- Analyze your current waste stream through a Waste Audit
- Identify waste reduction and recycling opportunities as well as recycled-content goods to purchase
Assistance with starting or improving a waste reduction and recycling program
- Support with education and promotion including developing outreach materials
- Need assistance with instruction? Schedule a training session with us
- Recycle the right way - download the “Office Dirty Dozen" poster
Program tracking and recognition
- Monitor recycling performance using Re-TRAC Connect
- Report your data for the S.C. Solid Waste Management Annual Reports
- Apply to be a Smart Business Recycling Award Winner and gain statewide recognition for your program and efforts