2021 Revision of Regulation 61-34.1 and 61-34
DHEC’s proposed revision of Regulation 61-34.1, Pasteurized Milk and Milk Products, has passed legislative review. The revisions were designed to create consistency with the Food & Drug Administration's 2019 Pasteurized Milk Ordinance and to align permitting and enforcement sections with other DHEC food safety regulations. Similarly, DHEC’s proposed revision of Regulation 61-34, Raw Milk for Human Consumption, has also passed legislative review. The purpose of the revisions was to update and streamline the regulation to be more inclusive and to provide for the regulation of raw milk products, buttermilk, and cream. The regulation updates also eliminate unnecessary sections that do not apply to raw milk production. The revised Regulation 61-34.1, Pasteurized Milk and Milk Products, and Regulation 61-34, Raw Milk for Human Consumption, are final and effective as of April 22, 2022. The final revised regulations are available below.
• 61-34.1, Pasteurized Milk and Milk Products
• 61-34, Raw Milk for Human Consumption
We are truly grateful for all the feedback we received from our stakeholders and appreciate the support. Please feel free to email us at Dairy@dhec.sc.gov, if you have any questions. You can also reach us by phone at (803) 896-0640.
DHEC regulates all Grade A Dairy facilities in the state that produce, haul, process, package, and distribute milk and milk products. We run lab tests on samples of raw and finished products and water supplies from each facility.
- Regulation 61-34.1 – Pasteurized Milk and Milk Products
- Grade “A” Pasteurized Milk Ordinance
- Regulation 61-34 – Raw Milk for Human Consumption
- Regulation 61-36 - Manufactured Grade Dairy Products
Applications & Permit
- Application for Dairy or Manufactured Food Permit – DHEC 1752 - Apply for a permit for a Bulk Milk Hauler, Bulk Milk Tanker, Dairy Farm (Cow or Goat), Raw (Cow, Goat or Sheep) Dairy Farm, Milk Distribution Station, Milk Pasteurization Firm, or Single-Service Milk Containers and Closures Manufacturing Firm. See a completed sample application.
- Application for Permit to Import Milk and/or Milk Products – DHEC 1765 - Apply for a permit to import Grade A Raw Bulk Milk for Pasteurization, Pasteurized Milk, and/or Milk Products into South Carolina. See a completed sample application.
Submit a complete and signed application to DHEC by following the instructions at the bottom of the form. Applications with blank fields and/or unsigned are incomplete and cannot be accepted.
Sample Inspection Reports
- Bulk Milk Hauler/Sampler – DHEC 1605
- Milk Tank Truck – DHEC 1606
- Dairy Farm & Raw Dairy Farm – DHEC 1709
- Milk Distribution Station – DHEC 1788a
- Milk Pasteurization Plant – DHEC 1788
- Single-Service Milk Containers and Closures Manufacturing Firm – DHEC 1608
- Boil Water Emergencies
- Foodborne & Waterborne Illnesses
- Food Poisoning – What to Do
- Radiological Monitoring of Dairy Milk
- Food and Drug Administration
- SC DHEC Food Safety Consumer Complaint System - This system may be used by consumers who believe a S.C. dairy product has caused the consumer or a family member to become sick or is in some other way endangering public health and safety or violating food safety laws.
- SC DHEC Manufactured Food
- SC DHEC Retail Food Establishments
- South Carolina Department of Agriculture
- United States Department of Agriculture