Enviva Virtual Public Hearing
If you attended the Enviva Virtual Public Hearing on August 20, 2020, please consider filling out our feedback survey. Your input is greatly appreciated!
Enviva Pellets Greenwood, LLC (Enviva) owns and operates a wood pellet manufacturing facility in Greenwood, South Carolina. Enviva submitted an air construction permit application on February 10, 2020, to (1) reduce particulate matter (dust) emissions by adding more efficient process equipment, upgrading existing pollution control devices and, adding new dust reduction control equipment, and (2) increase its wood pellet plant production limit by 25%.
The proposed project includes:
- replacing five existing horizontal dry hammermills with 36 new vertical dry hammermills;
- adding one new green hammermill, three new pelletizers, and one pellet cooler; and
- installing new air pollution control devices and routing dry hammermills to some existing air pollution control devices to reduce emissions .
The proposed replacement of the horizontal dry hammermills and upgrades of the existing air pollution control equipment are intended to decrease dust and the overall emissions from the facility.
Air Construction Permit
DHEC’s Bureau of Air Quality (BAQ) has completed a technical review of the application. The technical review includes reviewing emissions calculations, performing a regulatory review, conducting an ambient air quality analysis and verifying that the proposed project can meet all applicable air quality regulations if constructed and operated as requested in the air permit application.
Once the technical review was completed, a draft air permit containing all applicable emission limitations and requirements was placed on public notice. DHEC is currently accepting written comments through August 27, 2020. The draft permit and corresponding documents are available below and can be accessed from the public notice page. The draft permit has not been approved and is open for public comment through August 27, 2020. All comments will be considered before a final decision is made on the draft permit.
If a final air construction permit is issued, Enviva anticipates it will take approximately 9-12 months to complete the proposed changes.
- For technical information about the draft air permit, contact Jo Anna Cunningham at (803) 898-4123.
- For information about the virtual public hearing, contact Monica Taylor at email@example.com or (803) 898-7678.
- To report possible excess emissions or wood debris found on your personal property, contact the DHEC Regional Office in Greenwood at (864) 227-5915. DHEC follows up on every complaint by visiting the facility and investigating possible causes for excess emissions.
- To request other documents not included on this webpage, please contact the Freedom of Information Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (803) 898-3882.