The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) is a state agency whose operations are overseen by the S.C. Board of Health and Environmental Control. The Board is empowered to make, adopt, disseminate and enforce reasonable rules and regulations for the promotion of public health and the reduction, control and prevention of pollution. For a complete description of the Board's legal authority and makeup, please see S.C. Code of Laws, Section 44-1-20.
The Board consists of eight members, one from each congressional district, and a Chairman from the state at large appointed by the Governor, upon the advice and consent of the S.C. Senate. The seven congressional district Board seats have staggered four-year terms.
- Member at Large - Seema Shrivastava-Patel
- 1st District - J.B. (Sonny) Kinney, Jr.
- 2nd District - Vacant
- 3rd District - Charles M. Joye II, P.E.
- 4th District - Dr. Robert R. Morgan, Jr.
- 5th District - Vacant
- 6th District - Morris E. Brown, III, MD
- 7th District - William D. Richmond, MD
Contacting the Board
Comments or questions
Please email email@example.com or write to the Clerk of the Board at DHEC, 2600 Bull Street, Columbia, S.C. 29201.
Filing a Request for Review (RFR)
The Board adopted revisions to the Request for Review (RFR) procedure at its November 2022 Board meeting. The new procedure is effective Dec. 1, 2022. The Guide to Board Review has been updated to reflect the new procedure.
Monthly Board Meetings
Meetings are held at 10 a.m. on the second Thursday of each month, unless otherwise announced by public notice. The meetings are open to the public and are held in the Board Room of DHEC, Room 3420, 2600 Bull Street, Columbia, S.C. 29201.
2023 Monthly Meetings*
- Thursday, January 5 (First Thursday)
- Thursday, February 9 (Cancelled)
- Thursday, March 9
- Thursday, April 13
- Thursday, May 11
- Thursday, June 8
- Thursday, July 13
- Thursday, August 10
- Thursday, September 7 (First Thursday)
- Thursday, October 12
- Thursday, November 9
- Thursday, December 7 (First Thursday)
*Date, time or location may change if necessary. Public notice will be given.
- Wednesday, January 5 (1st Wednesday)
- Thursday, February 10
- Thursday, March 10
- Thursday, April 7 (1st Thursday)
- Thursday, May 5
- Thursday, May 12 (Cancelled)
- Thursday, June 9
- Thursday, July 7 (Cancelled)
- Thursday, August 11
- Thursday, September 8
- Thursday, October 13 (Cancelled)
- Thursday, November 10
- Thursday, December 8
- Thursday, January 3 (1st Thursday)
- Thursday, February 7 (1st Thursday) - CANCELLED
- Thursday, March 7 (1st Thursday)
- Thursday, April 11 - CANCELLED
- Thursday, May 9
- Thursday, June 13 - CANCELLED
- Thursday, July 11
- Thursday, August 8
- Thursday, September 12
- Thursday, October 10 - CANCELLED
- Thursday, November 7 (1st Thursday)
- Thursday, December 12
- Thursday, January 4 (1st Thursday)
- Thursday, February 8
- Tuesday, March 27
- Thursday, April 12
- Wednesday, May 9 (Wednesday, due to a state holiday on Thursday)
- Thursday, June 7 (1st Thursday)
- Thursday, July 12
- Thursday, August 9
- Thursday, September 13 - (CANCELLED)
- Thursday, September 27 - (NEW)
- Monday, October 1 - (CANCELLED)
- Wednesday, October 3 - (NEW)
- Thursday, October 11- (RESCHEDULED)
- Thursday, October 12
- Thursday, November 8
- Thursday, December 13
- Wednesday, December 19 (CONFERENCE CALL)