Martin Marietta Materials, Inc. has requested to modify its mine operating permit for the Orangeburg Quarry to expand the permit boundary by approximately 998.7 acres. The quarry is located at 950 County Line Road, Cross, S.C., approximately 6 miles southeast of Eutawville, SC (a portion of TMS #0370-00-00-001.000). A proposed reclamation plan to restore the site to lake/pond and grassland has been submitted with the application.
After careful consideration of all comments and information received from concerned citizens and local, state, and federal agencies, DHEC has determined that the Orangeburg Quarry can comply with the South Carolina Mining Act and applicable air, water, and mining regulations. Having made this determination, and being in receipt of the required financial assurance, DHEC has approved the mine application and is issuing the modification to Mine Operating Permit I-000802 for the Orangeburg Quarry. The final mine permit, maps, reclamation plan, and a summary response to comments are available below.
DHEC appreciates the interest, engagement, and comments received from all our stakeholders during the environmental permitting process for the Orangeburg Quarry.
DHEC’s Bureau of Land and Waste Management (BLWM) received an application to modify a mine operating permit for the Orangeburg Quarry on April 03, 2018. Documents used in the BLWM permitting process are available below:
- Cover Letter
- MR-1300: Application for Modifying a Mine Operating Permit
- MR-500: Reclamation Plan
- Mine Maps
- Initial DHEC Public Notice
- United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) Approved Jurisdictional Determination
- Correspondence with SC Department of Natural Resources
- Correspondence with U.S. Fish & Wildlife
- Red-Cockaded Woodpecker Study
- Correspondence with State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO)
- DHEC Notice of Hearing and Extended Public Comment Period
The BLWM placed the mine operating permit application on public notice and began accepting public comments in September 2018. The BLWM completed review of all information and public comments received in writing, as well as those shared during the DHEC public hearing held on September 09, 2021. Additional information provided by the applicant was also reviewed.
- Issuance of Permit and Reclamation Plan
- Notice of Approval Memo and Response to Comments
- Guide to Board Review
Questions about the mine operating permit and the BLWM’s permitting process may be directed to:
Virtual Public Meeting and Public Hearing
DHEC held a Public Hearing to to accept comments on the proposed modification of the Martin Marietta Orangeburg Quarry on September 9, 2021 at 6:00 pm.
A recording of the public meeting and public hearing and and the presentation can be found below:
- Martin Marietta Public Meeting/Hearing Presentation - September 9, 2021
- Martin Marietta Public Meeting/Hearing Recording - September 9, 2021
If you are unable to access the webpage, or have questions about participating in the public meeting or public hearing, please contact Jeremy Eddy no later than September 2, 2021 at (803) 898-7609, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, to register and receive the public meeting presentation.
- Corrected Conference ID Number for Public Meeting and Hearing
- Differences Between Public Meetings & Public Hearings
Local DHEC Contacts
For information on current or previous sites of public interest, visit DHEC's Environmental Sites of Interest webpage.