DHEC’s Office of Solid Waste Reduction and Recycling is required by the S.C. Solid Waste Policy and Management Act of 1991 to produce annual reports that focus on solid waste management in South Carolina. The reports are provided below.
S.C. Solid Waste Management Annual Report for Fiscal Year 2017
This report provides a comprehensive overview of solid waste management including the amount and type of solid waste that is disposed of and recycled in South Carolina as well as the progress towards meeting the state’s waste reduction and recycling goals. For more detailed information, see below. The latest report covers fiscal year (FY) 2017 (July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2017).
The report is divided into the following sections:
- Section 1: Details the purpose of the report and outlines the information provided.
- Section 2: Provides a brief statistical summary of recycling and disposal figures.
- Section 3: Includes recommendations for improving solid waste management in South Carolina.
- Section 4: Highlights the recycling commodities that are defined and required by the Act to be measured as well as the amount of each commodity recycled.
- Section 5: Provides overview and a comprehensive county-by-county breakdown of recycling and disposal.
- Section 6: Summarizes disposal data including remaining capacities for South Carolina's Class 3 landfills and generation rates for MSW and Total Solid Waste (TSW) as well as import and export data. The section also summarizes information about solid waste planning. In addition, it addresses Demonstration of Need (DON). DON refers to the criteria established for geographical placement and allowable annual disposal rates of new and expanding solid waste management facilities.
- Section 7: Contains a listing of permitted solid waste facilities including landfills, transfer stations and processing facilities.
In addition to viewing the report in sections, a full version is available.
Solid waste management annual reports for FY 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 also are available as PDF files. Please note that some of the PDFs are rather large and may require a few minutes to download.
S.C. State Agencies & Colleges/Universities Recycling & Buying Recycled Annual Report for Fiscal Year 2018
This report summarizes the waste reduction, recycling and buying recycled efforts of South Carolina state agencies as well as state-supported colleges and universities during Fiscal Year 2018 (July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018).