Recycle Right SC Campaign
Have you ever placed items into your recycling bin without being certain that they can be recycled?
Don’t do it.
“Wish-cycling” damages your recycling program. Recycling contamination occurs when:
• Items that cannot be recycled are placed in the recycling container; OR
• Items that are recyclable are not properly prepared before being placed into the bin.
Contamination can result in:
• Possible disposal of all the items including those could have been recycled;
• Significant increased costs to local governments to remove contamination;
• A reduction of services or materials accepted; or
• Even elimination of the recycling program.
The Recycle Right SC campaign – a partnership between DHEC’s Office of Solid Waste Reduction and PalmettoPride (South Carolina’s anti-litter organization) – is designed to inform residents on how to properly recycle, why that is important, and inspire them to do their part through outreach initiatives, events and local government collaborations.
Recycle Here SC
Residents can find out what is accepted for recycling in their community and where to take recyclables as well as additional program information at scdhec.gov/recycleheresc. There also is available a Geographic Information System (GIS) interactive map to help residents find the nearest recycling location at gis.dhec.sc.gov/recycleheresc.