Abandoned and derelict vessels (ADV) are a chronic problem in our coastal environment. In addition to direct impact on fragile marsh and benthic habitat, ADV diminish the safe recreational use of our waterways and are a visual blight on the landscape.
Since 2004, DHEC has worked with federal, state and local partners to leverage the removal of over 100 abandoned vessels from coastal waterways stretching from Horry County to Hilton Head. However, this program does not relieve boat owners from their responsibility to properly manage and dispose of their vessels. Abandoned vessels are prioritized for removal according to the following evaluation criteria.
- Proximity to shellfish beds and other sensitive areas
- Presence or potential for oil/fuel pollution
- Navigational hazard
- Impaired recreational use of waterway
- Economic impact to recreation and tourism
- Legal and/or regulatory authority to remove
- Public interest
- Lack of success through routine enforcement means
Reporting using MyCoast South Carolina
You can quickly and easily report abandoned and derelict vessels using the MyCoast: South Carolina ADV Reporting Tool. MyCoast: South Carolina is a portal for DHEC OCRM to collect and analyze pictures and data relating to coastal events. Information collected through this site is used to visualize the impact of coastal hazards and to enhance awareness among decision-makers and stakeholders. Visit the MyCoast: South Carolina homepage to learn more, or download the free APP on your Apple or Android device.
Abandoned and Derelict Vessel (ADV) Working Group
In January 2016, DHEC OCRM convened the Abandoned and Derelict Vessel (ADV) Working Group to examine inter-governmental challenges associated with ADV removal and prevention. A long-term solution to this problem requires improved inter-agency and inter-governmental coordination. To that end, the ADV Working Group examined the challenges associated with vessel abandonment and developed recommendations for improved management.
Meeting agenda, notes and resource information will be added to this site as requested and available.
- Presentation: U.S. Coast Guard; Federal Anchorages
- Presentation: S.C. Dept. of Natural Resources; Boat Licensing, Registration and ADV Efforts
- Presentation: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers; Federal Mooring Regulations
- Presentation: Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Presentation: S.C. Emergency Management Division
- State and Federal Jurisdiction Flow Chart
- State and Federal Jurisdiction Diagram
- NOAA Incident Waterway Debris Response Guide
- Brailsford, Susanna Cartwright. Summer 2011. Abandoned Ship! Legal approaches to South Carolina's Derelict Vessel Problem. South Carolina Law Review, 62 S.C. L. Rev. 587
- Executive Summary of Abandoned Vessel Focus Groups (pdf)
- U.S. GAO: Federal and State Actions, Expenditures, and Challenges to Addressing Abandoned and Derelict Vessels