In 1994, the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (SCDHEC) obtained federal grant funding to integrate the special treatment needs of pediatric patients into the state's EMS and hospital systems. This program became the South Carolina EMS for Children (SC EMSC) program.
The program is housed under the Health Resources Services Administration (HRSA) and the Maternal and Child Health Bureau (MCHB). These national health agencies created specific Performance Measures to ensure optimal pediatric care is addressed and evaluated.
Currently, the program focuses on the required performance measures with an emphasis in education for pre-hospital and hospital providers on the care of the pediatric patient, pediatric medical equipment, and guidelines to promote better health care outcomes for children.
The EMSC program is advised by a committee of pediatric care experts from around the state. Each member provides insight and expertise to the program initiatives and helps to complete goals and performance measures. The advisory committee meets quarterly and is open to any interested stakeholders.
Pediatric Webinar Series Recorded Sessions
Visit scdhec.gov/PediatricWebinars for details.
- March 29, 2022 - VIDEO - Pediatric Cervical Spine Clearance and Immobilization
- April 26, 2022 - VIDEO - Childhood Trauma: Its Many Faces During the Pandemic
- May 16, 2022 - VIDEO - Pediatric Burn Injury in South Carolina
- June 15, 2022 - VIDEO - Pediatric Trauma Resuscitation: When Bleeding is No Small Thing
- October 26, 2022-VIDEO- Pediatric Critical Care for the EMS Provider
- November 22, 2022- VIDEO - Pediatric Pain Management: Prehospital Recognition, Assessment, & Treatment
Pediatric Trauma Protocols
- Pediatric Head Trauma Protocols
- Pediatric Multiple Trauma Protocols
- Pediatric Trauma Triage and Transport Protocols
Pediatric Ready EMS
Peds Ready EMS Agencies
- Prisma Health Ambulance Service, Greenville, SC
- Piedmont Medical EMS, Rock Hill, SC
- Horry County Fire Rescue, Conway, SC
- Dorchester County EMS, Summerville, SC
- Charleston County EMS, Charleston, SC
- Kershaw County EMS, Camden, SC
- Calhoun County EMS, St. Matthews, SC
- Lee County EMS, Bishopville, SC
- Berkeley County EMS, Moncks Corner, SC
- Fairfield County EMS, Winnsboro, SC
Pediatric Ready Hospital Recognition
- Application (doc)
- FAQ (pdf)
- Binder Table of Contents (pdf)
- Inter-facility transfer reference (pdf)
- Site Review Agenda (pdf)
- All Levels Criteria (pdf)
Interested in becoming a Site Review Team Member?
Pediatric Ready Hospitals – Basic Level
- Palmetto Health Children’s Hospital, Columbia, SC
- Summerville Medical Center, Summerville, SC
- Grand Strand Medical Center, Myrtle Beach, SC
- MUSC Lancaster, Lancaster, SC
For additional information, please contact Sable Land, EMS for Children Program Coordinator at (803)-545-4486.
2023 EMS for Children Advisory Council Meetings
- January 26, 2023
- April 27, 2023
- July 27, 2023
- October 26, 2023
EMSC Advisory Committee Meeting Minutes
April 28, 2022- EMS Advisory Committee Minutes
July 28, 2022-EMS Advisory Committee Meeting Minutes
October 12, 2022- EMS Advisory Committee Meeting Minutes