In 1994, the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (SCDHEC) obtained federal grant funding to integrate the special treatment needs of pediatric patients into the state's EMS and hospital systems. This program became the South Carolina EMS for Children (SC EMSC) program.
The program is housed under the Health Resources Services Administration (HRSA) and the Maternal and Child Health Bureau (MCHB). These national health agencies created specific Performance Measures to ensure optimal pediatric care is addressed and evaluated.
Currently, the program focuses on the required performance measures with an emphasis in education for pre-hospital and hospital providers on the care of the pediatric patient, pediatric medical equipment, and guidelines to promote better health care outcomes for children.
The EMSC program is advised by a committee of pediatric care experts from around the state. Each member provides insight and expertise to the program initiatives and helps to complete goals and performance measures. The advisory committee meets quarterly and is open to any interested stakeholders.
Pediatric Webinar Series
June 2022 Session:
Wednesday, June 15 at 1pm
Pediatric Trauma Resuscitation: When Bleeding is No Small Thing
Rachel Cobos, MD
Grand Strand Medical Center
Register Here: Publisher Portal (cmetracker.net)
Pediatric Webinar Series Recorded Sessions
Visit scdhec.gov/PediatricWebinars for details.
- March 29, 2022 - VIDEO - Pediatric Cervical Spine Clearance and Immobilization
- April 26, 2022 - VIDEO - Childhood Trauma: Its Many Faces During the Pandemic
- May 16, 2022 - VIDEO - Pediatric Burn Injury in South Carolina
- June 15, 2022 - VIDEO - Pediatric Trauma Resuscitation: When Bleeding is No Small Thing
Pediatric Ready EMS
Peds Ready EMS Agencies
- Prisma Health Ambulance Service, Greenville, SC
- Piedmont Medical EMS, Rock Hill, SC
- Horry County Fire Rescue, Conway, SC
- Dorchester County EMS, Summerville, SC
- Charleston County EMS, Charleston, SC
- Kershaw County EMS, Camden, SC
- Calhoun County EMS, St. Matthews, SC
Pediatric Ready Hospital Recognition
- Application (doc)
Interested in becoming a Site Review Team Member?
Pediatric Ready Hospitals – Basic Level
- Palmetto Health Children’s Hospital, Columbia, SC
- Summerville Medical Center, Summerville, SC
- Grand Strand Medical Center, Myrtle Beach, SC
2022 EMS for Children Advisory Council Meetings
- January 27, 2022
- April 28, 2022
- July 28, 2022
- October 27, 2022
2021 EMS for Children Advisory Council Meetings
- January 28, 2021
- April 22, 2021 (cancelled)
- July 22, 2021
- October 21, 2021
2020 Meeting Dates
- January 23, 2020
- April 23, 2020
- July 23, 2020
- October 22, 2020
EMSC Advisory Committee Meeting Minutes