Health Facilities: How to File a Complaint

Before filing complaint with the Health Facilities Licensing Bureau, we ask that you carefully read all the information on this page to determine with whom you should file your complaint. Although our Bureau will receive a complaint against any of our licensed health care facilities, if it is not within our purview of authority, we will refer the complaint to another state agency or local authorities as appropriate. As such, we encourage you to file your complaint with the appropriate authority to expedite action regarding your concerns. This page will guide you through the process.

Self Resolution
Attempting to resolve your complaint directly with the facility administrator is the quickest means of getting results to your concerns. However, if you have exhausted your efforts to resolve the problem without success, the Health Facilities Licensing Bureau will provide you with assistance.

Complaints Concerning Abuse
Abuse is defined as physical, sexual or psychological, or financial exploitation, or neglect or abandonment of a resident, (whether the incident occurred inside or outside of the facility). Complaints of this nature should be made directly to the Lieutenant Governor's Office on Aging . Contact information for representative in your area can be found at this link " Report Allegations of Abuse, Neglect or Exploitation (2011/08) (pdf)" . Please note that any complaints of this nature are referred by our Department to the Office on Aging.

Anonymous Complaints
Although anonymous complaints are accepted, we have no means of contacting you to acquire any additional information that may be critical to our conducting a thorough investigation and we will be unable to let you know the outcome of our investigation.

Filing a Complaint

To ensure that we have the necessary information please complete the Complaint Form (DHEC Form 0284) . If you have additional supporting documentation please submit that along with the form.

  1. Online - Please complete the Online Complaint Form to submit complaints electronically. There is no need to submit a form if you use this method. This is the most expedient means for our office to handle your complaint.​

  2. Mail/Fax - Mail complaints to DHEC, Bureau of Health Facilities Licensing , 2600 Bull Street, Columbia, SC, 29201 or fax complaint to (803) 545-4212.

  3. Telephone - If you are unable to e-mail, mail, or fax your complaint, then call our office at (803) 545-4370 and let the operator know that you wish to file a complaint.



Facilities Health Regulations & Licensing