Heart disease is South Carolina's leading cause of death:
- 11,385- The number of people who died from heart disease in South Carolina in 2020.
- Heart Disease accounted for 75,886 hospitalizations in South Carolina in 2020.
- Total hospitalization charges of more than $6.8 billion related to heart disease.
What is heart disease?
Heart disease is a broad term that refers to several types of heart conditions. The most common type of heart disease in the United States is coronary artery disease, which can cause heart attack, arrhythmias, angina, and heart failure.
Ways to prevent heart disease:
- Stop smoking
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Get regular health screenings:
- Limit alcohol use
- Take your medicine
- Manage your diabetes
- Eat a healthy diet that's low in fat, cholesterol and salt
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes on most days of the week