Heart disease is South Carolina's second leading cause of death:
- 10,034 - The number of people who died from heart disease in South Carolina in 2015.
- 50,167 - The number of hospitalizations due to heart disease in South Carolina in 2015.
- $3.2+ billion - The total cost of hospitalizations due to heart disease in SC during 2015.
What is heart disease?
Heart disease is a broad term that refers to several types of heart conditions. The most common type of heart disease in the United States is coronary artery disease, which can cause heart attack , arrhythmias, angina, and heart failure.
Ways to prevent heart disease:
- Stop smoking
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Get regular health screenings:
- Limit alcohol use
- Take your medicine
- Manage your diabetes
- Eat a healthy diet that's low in fat, cholesterol and salt
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes on most days of the week