Report Animal Bites to DHEC

If you're bitten or scratched by a wild, stray or unvaccinated animal care for the wound properly and contact your health care provider. The health care provider is required to report the incident to DHEC.

If your child is bitten and you do not seek medical treatment for the wound, you are required to contact your regional DHEC Environmental Health Services office to report the bite by the end of the following business day.

Health Care Providers and Veterinarians:

Consult with DHEC when evaluating possible rabies exposures.

We can help you make decisions about post-exposure prophylaxis .

Health care providers, make sure to report all animal bites to DHEC.


Health Infectious Diseases Rabies