As a WIC or SNAP participant, the federal government has two programs that you can take advantage of now to help your family: the Affordable Connectivity Program and the Expanded Child Tax Credit.
Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP)
Too many families go without high-speed internet because of the cost. The Affordable Connectivity Program is available to help lower the cost of internet service for millions of families like yours. As a WIC or SNAP recipient, you automatically qualify.
What will I get?
You will receive:
- up to $30/month off your internet bill (or $75/month on Tribal lands)
- a one-time $100 discount off a laptop, tablet, or computer
You may also qualify for a low-cost service plan that may be fully covered through the ACP.
How do I apply?
Go to GetInternet.gov, your one-stop shop to check your eligibility, sign up to save, and find fully covered plans. The information is available in Spanish at AccedeAInternet.gov. You can also call 877-384-2575.
Expanded Child Tax Credit (CTC)
If you did not take advantage of the Expanded Child Tax Credit when you filed your tax return earlier this year, do so now. You could get thousands of dollars in federal money!
What could I get?
- Up to $3,600 per child with the 2021 Child Tax Credit,
- Any missed COVID Stimulus Payments for you and your children/dependents - $600-$3,200 per person,
- The Federal Earned Income Tax Credit (up to $6,728 for 3 children or $1,502 if you are single) if you worked for pay in 2021.
- Also, you can sign up for payments you missed in the last 3 years and get the money!
How do I apply?
Go to GetCTC.org and use the simple e-filing tool by November 15, 2022. It only takes about 15 minutes to file and you won't need any tax documents.
Am I eligible?
You can get this money even if you:
- have never filed taxes or have not filed in the last few years
- have no income or low income (earned less than $12,550 in 2021 if you're single; earned less than $25,100 in 2021 if you're married).
- did not receive the Advance Premium Tax Credit
What happens if I miss the deadline?
If you miss the November 15 deadline to file using the simplified portal, you can still claim the 2021 Child Tax Credit, but you will need to file a full tax return. You have until April 25, 2025 to do so.