A hearing aid specialist is an individual licensed by DHEC to engage in the practice of measuring human hearing by an audiometer and by other established means for fitting, making selections, adaptations, or sale of hearing aids. It also includes the making of impressions for earmolds.
Temporary permits can be issued by DHEC to applicants in training to become a licensed hearing aid specialist. The temporary permit entitles the applicant to engage in the fitting and sale of hearing aids for one year. A licensed hearing aid specialist shall supervise and train the applicant, maintain adequate personal contact, and make quarterly reports to DHEC about the performance of the temporary permit holder.
- Hearing aid specialist license applicants and temporary permit holders who meet the requirements of the Practice of Specializing in Hearing Aids Act and Regulation 61-3, shall take the written and practical examinations as prescribed by DHEC.
- Renewal of Temporary Permits
- South Carolina does not recognize reciprocity for out-of-state Hearing Aid Specialists. However, out-of-state Hearing Aid Specialists are only required to take the practical exam in South Carolina if they submit to DHEC documentation of their successful completion of a written exam approved by the International Hearing Society (IHS) with their complete license application.
- On December 7, 2021, the State Commission for Hearing Aid Specialists met to discuss approved training activities. The Commission determined that for the licensing periods of 2021 and 2022, licensees may obtain educational units through live in-person or live online/virtual training activities. However, licensees can only obtain up to three (3) educational units for the licensing period through non-live/pre-recorded training activities (e.g., AudiologyOnline).
Regulation and Code of Laws
- Regulation 61-3, The Practice of Selling and Fitting Hearing Aids
- Practice of Specializing in Hearing Aids Act, S.C. Code Section 40-25-10, et seq.
- Application for Hearing Aid Specialist License
- Application for Temporary Permit Holder
- Application for the Written and Practical Examinations
If you have any questions, please send them to HASsupport@dhec.sc.gov.