South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) maintains a social media presence for the purpose of engaging and interacting with our community.
Limited Public Forum
For purposes of this guidance, a social media platform is a website or app offered to the public to provide audio, video, still-photo or written communication between other members of the public and/or representatives of certain groups, businesses, organizations or departments. Examples of social media platforms include Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Flickr, LinkedIn, website blogs with commenting capabilities, and forums and emergency notification services.
The definition of content as used in this guidance refers to any written copy, photos, graphics, videos, live-video streams, comments or any form of communicative content exchanged between parties.
Moderation of Content
DHEC's social media platforms are intended to be "family friendly." When applicable, the agency uses platform-provided content moderation/filtering options to limit foul or obscene content. DHEC does monitor the social media platforms used by the agency, and will remove inappropriate content as defined below, without prior notice, and as soon as possible. The department shall reserve the right to remove and/or block anyone who posts inappropriate material as determined by the agency. This material may include, but is not limited to:
- Comments not related to the original topic, including random or unintelligible comments;
- Profane, obscene, or pornographic content and/or language;
- Content that promotes, fosters or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, or national origin;
- Defamatory or personal attacks;
- Threats to any person or organization;
- Solicitation of commerce, including but not limited to advertising of any business or product for sale. This includes other online pages or organizations asking for donations.
- Conduct in violation of any federal, state or local law;
- Encouragement of illegal activity;
- Information that may tend to compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems;
- Content that violates a legal ownership interest, such as a copyright, of any party;
- Harassment or content which constitutes and/or facilitates stalking;
- Content which violates the right to privacy;
- Encouragement of violence;
- Repetitive content. Repeated posting of identical or very similar content in a counter-productive manner.
Facebook's Community of Standards
All comments posted to DHEC’s Facebook page are bound by Facebook’s Community Standards, and DHEC reserves the right to report any violation of Facebook’s Community Standards to Facebook with the intent of Facebook taking appropriate and reasonable responsive action.
When applicable, DHEC reserves the right to report any violation of the Twitter Rules, with the intent of Twitter taking appropriate and reasonable responsive action.
YouTube Community Guidelines
When applicable, DHEC reserves the right to report any violation of the YouTube Community Guidelines, with the intent of YouTube taking appropriate and reasonable responsive action.
LinkedIn User Agreement
When applicable, DHEC reserves the right to report any violation of the LinkedIn User Agreement, with the intent of LinkedIn taking appropriate and reasonable responsive action.
Flickr Community Guidelines
When applicable, DHEC reserves the right to report any violation of the Flickr Community Guidelines, with the intent of Flickr taking appropriate and reasonable responsive action.
WordPress User Guidelines (Blog)
When applicable, DHEC reserves the right to report any violation of the WordPress User Guidelines, with the intent of Flickr taking appropriate and reasonable responsive action.