To support school districts in their efforts to provide all students with a healthy and safe learning environment, the S.C. Department of Health & Environmental Control (S.C. DHEC) and the State Department of Education jointly employ a State School Nurse Consultant. The State School Nurse Consultant provides guidance regarding school health and school nursing services to school districts and other entities upon request.
The State School Nurse Consultant also works with school nurse leaders from around the state to:
- Collect and disseminate data regarding school health services in S.C.;
- Formulate school screening recommendations ;
- Develop and update recommendations and guidelines for school health services ;
- Plan and offer educational opportunities for school nurses; and
- Coordinate the School Nurse of the Year Awards , the Dee Dee Chewning School Nurse Administrator Award and the Mary Ellen Hatfield Scholarship Awards .
Find resources and additional information related to school health services.
To receive periodic e-mails from the State School Health Nurse Consultant with updates regarding school health services, you may join the S.C. School Nurses Listserv .