DHEC is a state agency whose operations are overseen by the S.C. Board of Health and Environmental Control. The Board consists of eight members, one from each congressional district, and a Chairman from the state at large appointed by the Governor, upon the advice and consent of the S.C. Senate. The seven congressional district Board seats have staggered four-year terms.
The Board is empowered to make, adopt, disseminate and enforce reasonable rules and regulations for the promotion of public health and the reduction, control and prevention of pollution. For a complete description of the Board's legal authority and makeup, please see S.C. Code of Laws, Section 44-1-20.
- Member at Large - Mark Elam
- 1st District- Rick Toomey, DHA, FACHE
- 2nd District- Seema Shrivastava-Patel
- 3rd District - Charles M. Joye II, P.E.
- 4th District - Vacant
- 5th District - Vacant
- 6th District - David W. Gillespie, MD
- 7th District - Jim Creel Jr.
Monthly board meetings are held at 10:00 a.m. on the second Thursday of each month, unless otherwise announced by public notice. The regular monthly meetings are open to the public and are held in the Board Room of the S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control: DHEC headquarters, Room 3420, 2600 Bull Street, Columbia, S.C. 29201.
- Thursday, January 4 (1st Thursday)
- Thursday, February 8
- Tuesday, March 27
- Thursday, April 12
- Wednesday, May 9 (Wednesday, due to a state holiday on Thursday)
- Thursday, June 7 (1st Thursday)
- Thursday, July 12
- Thursday, August 9
- Thursday, September 13 - (CANCELLED)
- Thursday, September 27 - (NEW)
- Monday, October 1 - (CANCELLED)
- Wednesday, October 3 - (NEW)
- Thursday, October 11- (RESCHEDULED)
- Thursday, October 12
- Thursday, November 8
- Thursday, December 13
*Date, time or locations may change if necessary. Public notice will be given.
If you have a comment or question for the Board, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to the Board at DHEC, 2600 Bull St., Columbia, S.C.29201.