Camper Information

Camper Information

One female counselor and two campers are in a red canoe.


Camp Burnt Gin accepts campers ages 7 through 25 years of age from South Carolina who have a physical disability or chronic illness. Acceptance is determined on an individual basis. Many factors are considered including the child’s physical disability; medical and personal needs; and whether the child has other recreational opportunities.

If you are interested in having your child attend Camp Burnt Gin, click the link below to access our application information page.

Other Information

Who is Eligible?


Camper must have a physical disability or chronic illness.


To attend our children session, campers must be in the age range of 7-15. To attend our teen session, campers must be in the age range of 16-21. To attend our young adult session, campers must be in the age range of 22-25.

Camper needs:
  • child’s medical needs can be met in a rustic camp setting and do not require 24-hour nursing services (emergencies and unexpected illnesses are the exceptions).
  • supervision and personal care needs of your child can be met in a setting that provides a ratio of three staff to eight campers.
Camper does not:

exhibit aggressive, self-abusive, or inappropriate sexual behavior.

What is Considered?

Review the following when considering if Camp Burnt Gin is the right fit for your child.
We cannot do:
  • Overnight g-tube feedings: We cannot accommodate children who receive overnight g-tube feedings. Children who receive g-tube feedings during the day will be considered on an individual basis as staffing allows (maximum of four feedings per day).
  • Tracheostomies and ventilators: We are unable to meet the needs of children with tracheostomies and ventilators.
  • Extensive medication administration: Nursing staff are not available for medication administration after 10 p.m. or before 7 a.m., except in emergencies. Camp nurses are not able to administer vitamins or herbal supplements.
  • Diabetes management: Children who have diabetes must be able to self-manage their care. A statement from the child’s physician verifying their ability to comply is required.

Who can attend Camp Burnt Gin?

Camp Burnt Gin is for children ages 7 to 15 years old, teenagers 16 to 20 years old, and young adults 21 to 25 years old who have a physical disability and/or chronic illness.

Is this an overnight camp or day camp?

Camp Burnt Gin is a camp where campers spend the night. You bring your child to camp on the first day of their scheduled session and pick them up on the morning of the last day of the session.

When should applications for enrollment be submitted?

Camper applications are available March 1. The application deadline is April 15. Applications received after  deadline will be considered depending on available space.

When will I find out if my child is accepted to attend camp?

Acceptance is determined on an individual basis. Many factors are considered in determining acceptance including the child’s physical disability, medical, and personal needs and whether or not the child is able to participate in another camping program. Parents are notified of their child’s acceptance in May.

What is the cost for Camp Burnt Gin?

There is no cost to the family for their child to attend Camp Burnt Gin. However, if you would like, you may make a tax-deductible donation to Camp Burnt Gin. Checks should be made payable to "Camp Burnt Gin" and mailed to: Camp Burnt Gin 2100 Bull Street, Columbia, SC 29201. Donations will be deposited into the Camp Burnt Gin account and used to support camp programs.

What are the campers' disabilities or chronic illnesses?

Some of the more common disabilities and chronic illnesses include cerebral palsy, spina bifida, seizures, chromosomal disorders, heart disease, sickle cell anemia, and hemophilia. The severity of the disabilities vary tremendously. There are children who require very little assistance from the counselors and there are children who need help with all aspects of daily living.

Who will take care of my child's medical needs?

Two nurses are available at all times to give medicine, first aid and supervise the childrens’ medical treatments. Sumter Pediatrics serves as our camp doctor and the local hospital is approximately 20 minutes away.

Who will live with and take care of my child?

In each cabin of eight campers, there is a minimum of three counselors. The counselors are college students who have experience working with children and who are interested in working with children who have special needs.

What type of training is provided for the counselors?

The camp staff participate in a week-long training program where they learn about the health conditions of the campers and the special care the campers require. Other training topics include safety and emergency procedures, positive behavior management, camp activities, and operating procedures.

What level of supervision is camp able to provide?

In each cabin of eight campers, there is a minimum of three counselors. Camp Burnt Gin cannot provide one-to-one supervision.

What is the level of supervision during rest hour and at night?

During these times, two counselors are on duty in the cabin and the other staff have free time. A minimum of three staff members sleep in the cabin with the campers. A staff member sleeps in front of each door exiting the cabin.

My child has never been away from home. What if they become homesick?

Almost all children, whether they have special needs or not, experience some homesickness. The camp staff is trained to help children adjust to being away from home. Usually, once the children get involved in the camp activities and start having fun, they do fine. However, if a child does not adjust to being away from home, the camp staff will contact the parents.


For more information about Camp Burnt Gin, call 803-898-0784 and/or email


Camp Burnt Gin