Concrete Plants

Concrete batch plants, concrete block production facilities, and pug mills may be eligible for coverage under the general construction permit and the general state or general conditional major operating permits if the only sources of emissions are as follows:

  • sand and aggregate storage;
  • sand and aggregate transfer to elevated bin;
  • cement and/or cement supplement loading;
  • weigh hopper loading;
  • truck loading, central mixer loading, and/or pug mixer loading;
  • loading, transfer or storage associated with emission control systems;
  • boilers and/or other fuel combustion devices less than 30 million BTU per hour;
  • temporary/portable crushing and screening equipment for nonmetallic minerals processing; and
  • Sources exempt under S.C. Regulation 61-62.1, Section II(B).

Interactive Map of Concrete Plants located in South Carolina

What are the emission thresholds for coverage under the General State Operating Permit for Concrete Plants?

To qualify for coverage under the General State Operating Permit for Concrete Plants, potential uncontrolled emissions must be below major source thresholds (for concrete plants, two major pollutants of concern are PM and PM10, the thresholds are: PM less than 250 tons/year and PM10 less than 100 tons/year). In general, plants rated less than the following capacities (using the manufacturer's maximum rated plant capacity) qualify for coverage under this permit:

  • Truck Mix = 164 yd3/hr
  • Central Mix = 294 yd3/hr
  • Pugmill = 294 yd3/hr

If your plant exceeds these thresholds, please contact the BAQ for assistance in determining your permitting status. See contact information below.

How Do I Apply for the General Permits for Concrete Plants? 

A construction permit is an air permit required for a facility that plans to construct, alter, or add to a source of air pollution including the installation of an air pollution control device. For concrete plants, to request coverage under the General Construction Permit for Concrete Plants complete and submit form listed below. Once the application has been reviewed and approval of the construction permit is issued, on-site activities may commence.*

*If the operations, normally covered by construction permits, are located in one of the eight coastal counties of the Coastal Zone under DHEC-OCRM's jurisdiction (Beaufort, Berkeley, Charleston, Colleton, Dorchester, Georgetown, Horry and Jasper), then a coastal zone consistency certification may be required.

Any source that is required to obtain an air quality construction permit issued by the BAQ must obtain an operating permit when the new or altered source is placed into operation. The BAQ requires certification that the construction covered by the application has been completed in accordance with the conditions in the construction permit issued. For concrete plants requesting coverage under either one of the General Operating Permits for Concrete Plants, complete and submit the form listed below.


What Are My Recordkeeping Requirements?

Records must be maintained on site, in written or electronic logs, for at least five (5) years. Each facility covered under one of the General Permits for Concrete Plants should refer to the permit for detailed recordkeeping requirements. Additionally, plants covered under the General Conditional Major Operating Permit for Concrete Plants have reporting requirements in addition to the recordkeeping requirements outlined below.

What must I record? How often should I record?
Concrete Production in cubic yards (yd3) Daily and included within a 12-month rolling sum, monthly (Condition C.1)
Truck and/or mixer load-out inspections Weekly (Condition C.6)
Bag/cartridge filter maintenance As bags/cartridges are replaced (Condition C.7)
System pressure drop measurements Daily (Condition C.8)
Visual inspection of silo control devices Daily facility inspection or when the silo is loaded, whichever is lesser (Condition C.9)

Please note that plants with fuel burning sources may be subject to additional recordkeeping requirements.

What Must I Do if I Want to Relocate My Plant?

  • The owner/operator may relocate the plant to another site in South Carolina provided that the new location is not co-located with another facility. Notification that the plant was relocated to the site shall be made to the Department within 30 days of such a move.
  • The owner/operator may move the plant out of South Carolina without gaining prior approval. Notification that the plant was moved out of South Carolina shall be made to the Department within 30 days of such a move. The owner/operator shall notify the Department at least 10 days prior to relocating the plant back into South Carolina.
  • The owner/operator must gain approval from the Department prior to relocating the plant to any other site in South Carolina that is co-located with another facility. Prior approval is not necessary if the plant is being relocated for storage purposes.

Click on the link above under Applications/Forms for relocation application.

Emissions / Reporting Tools