Wood Working Operations

Wood working operation means any operation involving the generation of small wood waste particles (shavings, sanderdust, sawdust, etc.) by any kind of mechanical manipulation of wood or wood byproducts. Wood working operations may be eligible for coverage under the registration permit if the facility is comprised of the following:

  • Sawing;
  • Planing;
  • Chipping;
  • Shaping;
  • Moulding;
  • Hogging;
  • Lathing and sanding;
  • All applicable control devices such as baghouses, cyclones, and portable dust collectors;
  • Any internal combustion engines that may be used to power the wood working equipment; 
  • Any wood working waste transfer or collection units such as silos, cyclones, trailers, conveyors, etc.;
  • Surface finishing of woods and all applicable finishing materials, control devices such as paint booth filters, cartridges, etc, and dryers, burn-off and curing ovens that may be used during the drying process; and 
  • Sources exempt under S.C. Regulation 61-62.1, Section II(B).


Registration Permit

  • Sources that conduct onsite lumber or chip drying prior to machining can not be permitted under this registration permit.
  • Sources can only be fired on natural gas, propane, virgin No. 2 fuel oil, virgin diesel, biodiesel that meets ASTM D6751 or any other Department approved fuels. The use of any non-specification oil, hazardous waste, or any other waste chemical as a fuel or any addition of these items to the fuel shall not be allowed. External combustion sources shall be fired on low sulfur (0.05 wt% or less) diesel/No. 2 fuel oil and the diesel engines shall be fired on ultra low sulfur (0.0015 wt% or less) diesel.
  • The maximum size for a single external combustion source burning fuels other than natural gas and propane is limited to 20 million BTU/hr heat input capacity.
  • The maximum size for a single internal combustion source burning fuels other than natural gas and propane is limited to 600 hp mechanical power output and a displacement of <10 liters per cylinder.
  • Facility is a true minor source
  • Surface Finishing Options:
    • Option A: Use less than 2667 gallons per 12 month period of Hazardous Air Pollutant (HAP) containing materials used for surface coatings, touchup and repairs, washoff operations, cleaning, and any other surface finishing materials containing HAP; or
    • Option B: Facility-wide HAP emissions of less than 10 tons of any one HAP and less than 25 tons of any combination of HAPs per 12-month periods.

How Do I Apply for the Registration Permit?

To request coverage under the registration permit download, complete, and submit the Registration Application for Wood Working Operations below.


If the operations covered by construction permits are located in one of the eight coastal counties of the Coastal Zone under DHEC-OCRM's jurisdiction (Beaufort, Berkeley, Charleston, Colleton, Dorchester, Georgetown, Horry and Jasper), then a coastal zone consistency certification may be required.

Emissions Tools:


Environment Registration Permits