Haile Gold Mine (HGM) is currently permitted under air construction permits 1460-0070-CA and 1460-0070-CB to operate a gold mine in compliance with state and federal air quality regulations. Operations include open pit mining of gold containing ore and an ore processing plant, where physical and chemical separation techniques are used to extract gold and silver.
On November 19, 2018, HGM submitted an application to DHEC’s Bureau of Air Quality (BAQ) for a Title V Operating Permit. In accordance with 40 CFR 63.11640(d), HGM may continue operating under the conditions of the construction permits until a final decision is made on the Title V Operating Permit. The Title V permitting process includes a 30-day public comment period and a 45-day EPA review.
In June 2019, DHEC’s BLWM received an application from HGM to substantially modify its existing mine operating permit. Review of the application is currently on-going. Based on the information provided to the BAQ, none of the existing air construction permits require modification and no additional BAQ permits are required as a result of the mining modification. More information about the proposed mining modification project can be found on DHEC's Haile Gold Mine – Mine Operating Permit webpage.
Title V Operating Permit Public Notice and Public Comment Period
On March 2, 2021, BAQ posted a public notice of a 30-day public comment period on the draft Air Quality Title V Operating Permit (Air Permit # TV-1460-0070). If approved, the Title V Operating Permit will allow the facility to operate as a major source of emissions under the requirements of SC DHEC Regulation 61-62.70 -Title V Operating Permit Program. This permit will enable the facility to operate in compliance with state and federal air quality regulations. The draft/proposed permit has not yet been approved and is open to comment from the public, affected states, and the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) through March 31, 2021, at 5:00 pm. The public notice, draft Title V Permit, and Statement of Basis are available below.
BAQ Permitting Documents
- Air Construction Permit 1460-0070-CA
- Air Construction Permit 1460-0070-CB
- Title V Application
- Public Notice of Draft Title V Operating Permit
- Draft Title V Permit
- Draft Title V Permit Statement of Basis
BAQ Timeline of Events
- September 7, 2012 - Received construction permit application for gold mine and processing plant
- October 4, 2013 - Issued Construction Permit 1460-0070-CA for gold mine and processing plant
- March 9, 2015 - Granted construction permit CA extension for 18 months
- May 18, 2015 - Start of construction
- May 31, 2016 - Issued construction permit exemption 1460-0070.01x for relocation of primary crusher PT-1, conveyors PT-2 and PT-3, and the addition new conveyors PT-2A and PT-3A
- October 4, 2017 - Start of Operation/ 40 CFR 63 Subpart EEEEEEE Compliance Date
- April 8, 2019 - Received complete Title V Application
- April 12, 2019 - Issued Notice of Alleged Violation/Notice of Enforcement Conference for 40 CFR 63 Subpart EEEEEEE, reporting, and testing violations
- October 29, 2019 - Received construction permit application for mercury abatement system
- January 2, 2020 - Issued Construction Permit 1460-0070-CB for mercury abatement system
- November 3, 2020 - Received operating permit request for construction permit 1460-0070-CB
- December 8, 2020 – Executed Consent Order requiring HGM to comply with all reporting requirements, emissions limitations, and other permitting and regulatory requirements; the Consent Order also required HGM to pay a civil penalty for previous permit violations.
- March 2, 2021 - Draft Title V Permit on Public Notice/EPA Review
- March 31, 2021 – End of public comment period