Virtual Public Hearing
DHEC held a Public Hearing to accept comments on the proposed landfill expansion on June 11, 2020 at 6:30 pm. Due to the COVID-19 guidelines restricting in-person meetings effective at the time of the notice, the public hearing was held virtually using an online platform to provide interested persons the ability to participate remotely.
A recording of the virtual public hearing and the slides presented during the public hearing are provided below.
- Horry County SWA Public Hearing Presentation
- Recording of virtual Public Hearing and question and answer session held on June 11, 2020
DHEC has received the following questions from those who registered prior to the hearing:
- How will the additional fill that is brought in to expand effect flooding
- Can we ensure that they additional fill will not increase flooding? This area is a high risk area that is highly vulnerable to flooding.
- Have any other options been explored?
- I am concerned about the area of expansion. Where will the present and future water go?
Comments on the technical application and draft permit will be accepted by DHEC through close of business on June 30, 2020. Once the comment period closes, DHEC will review all comments and determine if any modifications need to be made to the technical application or draft permit. After all comments are addressed, DHEC will make a final decision to either approve or deny the technical application and draft permit. Everyone on DHEC’s mailing list for the Horry County Class 2 Landfill will be notified of DHEC’s final decision. If you would like to be on our mailing list, please complete the registration form.
If you would like to be on our mailing list to receive updates about the proposed expansion, please complete this registration form.