Immunization Registry Overview
The Immunization Registry for the State of South Carolina is mandated in the SC Code Section 44-29-40 (B) Regulation 61-120. As such, the Immunization Registry consolidates the vaccination history for patients who visit multiple providers and protects the public from over- or under-immunization.
The Meaningful Use program offers an Immunization Registry Reporting measure under the Public Health Reporting objective. The information must be sent in HL7 2.5.1 standard between healthcare information systems and DHEC. Data submission and analysis is coordinated at the state health department (DHEC).
Immunization Registry Reporting Criteria and Standards
DHEC currently accepts Immunization Registry messages from all certified immunization providers. This includes the following provider types:
- Eligible Hospitals and Critical Access Hospitals
- Eligible Providers
DHEC currently accepts Immunization Registry messages for the following Meaningful Use stages:
- Modified Stage 2 (through 2017)
DHEC currently accepts Immunization Registry messages in the following standard format:
- HL7 v2.5.1
The following documents provide guidance for health care organizations seeking to send Immunization Registry messages to DHEC.
- PHIN Message Quality Framework - 04/20/2016
- SC DHEC Local Implementation Guide for HL7 2.5.1 Immunization Messaging v1.0 (pdf) - published 08/16/2016
- SC DHEC SCIAPPS HL7 Data Exchange On Boarding Quick Reference Guide (pdf) - last revised 11/30/2015
For additional information or questions regarding the Immunization Registry, please send an email to email@example.com .
This page last updated February 6, 2017