DHEC licenses hearing aid specialists, defined as individuals who measure human hearing by an audiometer and by other established means solely for fitting, making selections, adaptations, or sale of hearing aids; this procedure includes the making of impressions for earmolds.
We may also issue a temporary permit to an individual who does not yet meet the experience qualifications and technical knowledge of a licensed hearing aid specialist, to allow him or her to engage in the fitting and selling of hearing aids for a period of one year under the supervision of a licensed hearing aid specialist.
Hearing aid specialist licenses are issued to those individuals who pass both the International Hearing Society (IHS) written and practical examinations.
Regulation and Code of Laws
- Regulation 61-3, The Practice of Selling and Fitting Hearing Aids
- Practice of Specializing in Hearing Aids Act, Section 40-25-10
- MEMO: Renewal of Temporary Permits *UPDATED*
- Application for Hearing Aid Specialist
- Application for Temporary Permit Holder
- Application for Examination
- Approved Continuing Education Courses