What Do I Do If My Well Goes Dry?

If your residential well goes dry, you should contact a licensed well driller for assistance. In most of South Carolina, there is plentiful groundwater deeper beneath the ground. There are several things you can try:

  • If there is enough water deeper in your well, you can lower the pump deeper into your well.
  • If there is little or no water at all in a drilled rock well, you may be able to deepen your existing well.
  • If deepening your well is not physically possible (or cost-effective), the well driller may drill a new, deeper, well on your property.
  • If your entire community or neighborhood is being affected, your neighborhood may consider having a new community public well constructed (please contact your local DHEC Environmental Quality Control office for permitting information).
  • If available in your area, you may be able to tie onto a public water system.


All new individual residential wells must be permitted by DHEC (Regulation 61-44), and they must be constructed in accordance with the Well Standards (Regulation 61-71).

Well drillers must be licensed by the South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation.


Toll Free Telephone Number: 1-888-761-5989
Toll Free Fax Number: 1-888-761-6681
Greg Withycombe
(803) 898-3232