Camp Burnt Gin was founded in 1945 by Emily Cate, a physical therapist with the Board of Health (now DHEC). Miss Cate believed that children with orthopedic conditions needed more than medical rehabilitation.
These children needed to have opportunities to develop independence, social skills, and improve their self-esteem. Miss Cate believed summer camp provided this opportunity.
Originally, there were two camps, Mill Creek, and Camp Burnt Gin. In the late 1970’s the camps merged, and Camp Burnt Gin was selected as the site because it was more accessible. Over the years, the program expanded and now serves children, teenagers, and young adults with a variety of health care needs. For more than 75 years, Camp Burnt Gin has made a difference in the lives of its campers, their families, and summer staff.