DHEC continues to work with federal, state and local partners as it investigates COVID-19 cases in South Carolina. DHEC’s top priority remains protecting the public during this national and state emergency.
Recent Disease Activity by County
Last updated May 6, 2021. This county-level data is updated on Thursdays, as requested from school districts, to allow schools to make plans for the following week with the latest information available.
CDC recommends that all decisions about implementing school-based strategies should be made locally, in collaboration with local health officials who can help determine the level of transmission in the community. DHEC provides this data about disease transmission to support decision-making at the local level. It is not meant to be a stand-alone document.
School and childcare staff are eligible for COVID-19 vaccinations
As of March 2, 2021, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has directed that those who work in pre-primary, primary, and secondary schools, as well as Head Start and Early Head Start programs (including teachers, staff, and bus drivers) and those who work as or for licensed child care providers, including center-based and family care providers, are eligible for COVID-19 vaccinations. On March 4, 2021, DHEC sent a letter outlining this important update to the state's COVID-19 vaccine providers.
- NEW - COVID-19 Interim Guidance for School Buses
- Updated - School Operations COVID-19 Interim Guidance
- Updated - DHEC Interim Child Care Guidance - Response to COVID-19 Cases
- Updated - DHEC Interim School Guidance - Response to COVID-19 Cases
- AAP recommends athletes wear cloth face coverings
- COVID-19 Rapid Testing for South Carolina Public Schools
- Plexiglass Use in Schools (pdf)
- Immunization Frequently asked Questions from School Nurses 2020-2021
- COVID-19 en las escuelas: Preguntas frecuentes para padres
- Guidance for Persons Who Have Had Close Contact with a COVID-19 Case
- COVID-19 in Schools: Frequently Asked Questions for Parents
- COVID-19: Frequently Asked Questions for School Officials
- School Exclusion Brochure and List
- Interim Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) PPE Use Guidance for School Nurses and Unlicensed Assistive Personnel (UAP)
- Return of High School Sponsored Team Sports Guidelines
- S.C. Department of Education
- Guidance for Child Care Facilities (AccelerateSC / Department of Social Services)
- CDC Supplemental Guidance For Child Care Programs That Remain Open
- CDC Mass Gatherings Interim Guidance for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- CDC Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information for Schools & Childcare Centers
- CDC Consideration for Schools