Community Engagement is an important component of the environmental cleanup process that provides us with valuable input from nearby communities and allows us to hear concerns and address questions. For communities that are impacted by a regulated facility, our Community Engagement activities often continue after our formal public comment period closes.
As part of the environmental cleanup process, DHEC engages surrounding communities and the general public to:
- Provide information about proposed environmental activities in communities;
- Give community members and other interested parties an opportunity to bring relevant information to DHEC to consider; and
- Provide an opportunity to bring other concerns to the attention of DHEC.
DHEC values all comments received and is committed to addressing and considering all relevant information during a public comment period.
Community Meeting - May 3, 2022
DHEC hosted a meeting to formally accept comments on the proposed legal settlement that identifies those responsible for funding and cleanup of soil/groundwater contamination at the former ThermalKEM Site on May 3, 2022 at 6:00 PM at the Oakdale Elementary School Cafeteria (1129 Oakdale Road - Rock Hill, SC) All comments made during the meeting were recorded by a court reporter.
- Philip Services Corporation Community Meeting Presentation - May 3, 2022
- Transcript of Community Meeting
DHEC also extended the period to accept written comments on the settlement until May 6, 2022.
Community Meeting – March 22, 2022
DHEC hosted a meeting to discuss the environmental cleanup and proposed Settlement for the Phillips Services Corporation (formerly known as the ThermalKEM Site) on March 22, 2022.
Public Comment Period
The proposed Settlement and Consent Decree was open for public comment through May 6, 2022. The Settlement and Consent Decree, and other related documents are available below.
- Philip Services Site Settlement and Consent Decree
- DRAFT Appendix 1 to CD – Work Parties
- DRAFT Appendix 2 to CD – Cash Out Settlors
- DRAFT Appendix 3 to CD – Re-Opener Settlors
- Notice of Intent to Settle (Rock Hill Herald)
- PSC Appendix 4 Record of Decision
- PSC Appendix 6 – Statement of Work
- PSC Appendix 8 – Performance Trust Agreement
Questions about the site may be directed to:
If you would like to be notified of future updates, please complete the form here to be added to our mailing list.