DHEC welcomes the opportunity to have meaningful dialogue with all of our stakeholders as we continue to ensure the health of the public and our environment are promoted and protected. DHEC is committed to stakeholder engagement and has been working closely with residents, elected officials and other local organizations to ensure ongoing dialogue. We encourage interested persons to stay involved by attending meetings, asking questions, and staying engaged at the local, state, and federal levels.
As part of our commitment to keeping the community informed, DHEC held a public meeting to share information about proposed renewals of the air quality and National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permits for Westinghouse on Thursday, September 26, 2019.
At the meeting, DHEC staff provided a brief overview of enhanced requirements in the draft renewal permits and answered questions from community members.
- Meeting overview handout - September 26, 2019
- Presentation on BAQ draft permit renewal - September 26, 2019
- Presentation on NPDES draft permit renewal - September 26, 2019
DHEC is accepting public comments on both permit renewals through October 11, 2019. Comments on the draft air quality permit may be submitted to AirPNComments@dhec.sc.gov. Comments on the draft NPDES permit may be submitted to email@example.com. Additional information about the draft permits, including the applications and supporting documentation, can be found on DHEC’s Regulatory Roles page under the Bureau of Air Quality and Bureau of Water sections.
On July 25, 2019, DHEC hosted a community meeting to provide a general overview of the Westinghouse site and prior environmental investigations, information about the requirements of DHEC Consent Agreement 19-02-HW, and DHEC’s next steps.
- For more information about Westinghouse's operations at the Hopkins facility, please visit: http://www.westinghousenuclear.com/columbiacommunity.
- For more information about the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) and its oversight of radiologic operations at the Westinghouse site, please visit: https://www.nrc.gov/info-finder/fc/westinghouse-fuel-fab-fac-sc-lc.html.
- NRC Environmental Impact Statement for Westinghouse
- If you would like to be on DHEC’s mailing list to receive future information about the Westinghouse site, please provide your contact information here.
For questions concerning DHEC’s oversight of the Westinghouse facility, please contact:
For questions concerning DHEC’s community outreach efforts with the Westinghouse site, please contact: