Critical Area Permitting - Request a Critical Area Line

A Critical Area Line (CAL) is the boundary between the upland and the tidelands and coastal water critical areas, and any activities seaward of the CAL may require a critical area permit. CALs are determined by DHEC OCRM staff upon request and are valid for 5 years from the date the CAL is certified by DHEC OCRM staff. A current CAL must be included with all permit applications that involve erosion control structures, living shorelines or docks with walkways that are 900' or greater over the critical area. CALs are also often required by local municipalities for building setback purposes. A CAL request can be submitted via ePermitting.