Orthodontic and related services are available to children with functional impairments of the face, jaw, mouth, or teeth resulting from craniofacial anomalies. Program services are limited to children with severe impairments that will lead to worsening health conditions if not corrected. Unfortunately, we cannot assist all children who may benefit from orthodontic treatment.
- U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent residency
- South Carolina residency
- Initial approval for services made before age 16
- Household income at or below 250% of the federal poverty level
- Documentation of diagnosis of one or more craniofacial anomalies or conditions listed in the policy linked below.
- Payment for recommended orthodontic treatment
- Payment for dental or other services needed in addition to orthodontic treatment to correct the functional impairment
- Monitoring progress with child and parent or guardian to assure best possible outcomes.
How to Apply
Contact nearest regional CYSHCN office for detailed information and instructions.
If you have questions about getting services for your child with special needs, please contact your nearest nearest regional CYSHCN office.
- Oral Health for Families with Special Health Care Needs (pdf)
This resource guide was developed by the DHEC'S Division of Oral Health and MUSC College of Dental Medicne through funding from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. The booklet is designed to give parents and caregivers tips on keeping their child's or teen's mouth healthy taking into account the challenges that exist for those with special needs. In addition to parents, the booklet would also be a good resource for schools, homeschool associations, parent and community outreach programs as well dental and medical offices. A Spanish version of the guide is also available.