Need help? If you have difficulty understanding English or have a disability, free language assistance or other aids and services are available upon request. Please contact your local WIC clinic.
eWIC processing will be coming to your store by the year 2020! eWIC is an electronic system that replaces paper checks with a card for food benefit issuance and redemption at authorized WIC stores. The benefits of eWIC for your store include:
- It is easier to use and more secure than paper checks
- Only one card is needed per WIC family
- The store checkout process is faster
- Vendor staff training is reduced as WIC approved foods are identified by UPC/PLU codes.
- It provides faster payment to the vendor
All authorized vendors must maintain a certified system to accept and process the eWIC card. The system can either be an integrated system that performs online eWIC transactions or a stand-beside device leased from our bank contractor.
Integrated Cash Register System:
- It involves one card reader at the cash register that can process credit/debit cards, SNAP and eWIC. All large chain stores already have integrated systems.
- All integrated point of sale (POS) systems must be certified to accept eWIC transactions.
- WIC foods do not need to be separated from non-WIC foods when stores have integrated cash registers because the cash register "knows" which items can be paid for with the eWIC card vs SNAP, etc.
- The cashier rings up the foods and the cash register deducts only the WIC- allowed foods from their household benefits. Then, if non-WIC foods are also being purchased, those foods can be paid for by another form of payment (e.g. SNAP, debit, credit, or cash).
- A stand-beside device is a card reader specific to the WIC card. Most stand-beside terminals also accept SNAP EBT cards, but they will not accept credit or debit cards.
- WIC foods must be separated from non-WIC foods.
- The participant must notify the cashier they are using a WIC card, swipe their card and enter their PIN before foods are scanned.
- Retailers will need to reconcile the eWIC transactions to their electronic cash register (ECR) system.
How does eWIC help WIC vendors?
Stores can expect:
- an easier, quicker and more secure checkout
- faster payment
- fewer checkout errors
- reduced vendor staff training
Where can I find the WIC approved products list (APL)?
The WIC food products specifications brochure (pdf) is available online. You can submit foods through the online submissions form located here.
How do I apply for authorization as a WIC store?
For more information on becoming a WIC authorized vendor, contact the Vendor Management Agency in your area at (800) 922-4406 or download the WIC Vendor Manual (pdf).
Got questions? Check out our FAQ's here.
All WIC- approved stores are identified by the decal below.