How do I change a birth certificate after an adoption?

In order to amend a child's S.C. birth certificate following adoption, the attorney will usually submit the following:

  • Completed application form for the certified copy of a birth certificate
  • Certificate of Adoption (DHEC form 0671 if adoption was ordered in South Carolina) or whatever form is used by the state in which the adoption occurred to report to vital records.
  • Certified copy of the Adoption Decree
  • Fees for the number of copies requested
  • $15 amendment fee

If you submit these items by mail, please be advised that processing generally takes 2 -3 months. Or you may bring all of the above to the DHEC State Vital Records Office in Columbia, where it will be processed within 1 - 2 hours.

How can I start the process for a foreign adoption?

The first actions occur at the Family Court. If you do not have an attorney, you can access the guidelines and forms at DHEC does not issue any forms until the Family Court has completed their initial process.

For more information, contact Constituent Services.


Vital Records