Effective July 23, 2019
Effective July 23, 2019, Section 44-33-34 of the South Carolina Code of Law was amended to allow Advanced Practice Registered Nurses to certify the manner and cause of death and sign death certificates pursuant to the provisions of Chapter 63, Title 44 and Chapter 8, Title 32.
Guidance for Certifying Coronavirus Disease 2019
The Coronavirus Disease 2019 or COVID-19 should be reported on the death certificate for all decedents where the disease caused or is assumed to have caused or contributed to death. The preferred term to use in the cause of death is COVID-19.
For more details, please contact a Field Consultant @ 803-898-3409
To report any problems accessing the South Carolina VRSIIS system, please send an email to VRSIIShelpdesk@dhec.sc.gov
To request electronic death registration system access or training, please contact field staff at:
For assistance or additional information contact:
SC Department of Health and Environmental Control
Funeral Home Billable Orders click here.
SC VRSIIS Training Resources
Death Training Materials
- State Quick Reference Guide for General Data Entry Identified Record Types (Funeral Homes) - PDF
- Medical Certifiers QRG for Identified Record Types - PDF
- Medical Certifier Quick Reference Guide for Medical Facility Processes (Supplementals) - PDF
- QRG for BRTB Log (Subregistrars) - PDF
- Coroners Quick Reference Guide for 'Unidentified' Record Types - PDF
- VIDEO - VRSIIS General User Training
- VIDEO - VRSIIS BRTP Training
- VIDEO - VRSIIS Demographic Entry Training
- VIDEO - VRSIIS Medical Training
- VIDEO - VRSIIS Designation Acceptance Training