The application period is closed. Winners will be announced in November.
About Champions of the Environment
Hey K-12 students and teachers: Your class or group could be a S.C. Champion of the Environment for helping to protect the natural world and boost environmental awareness. This yearly competition awards up to eight K-12 environmental projects with grants worth up to $2,000!
Runners up receive smaller Seedling Awards or Merit Awards to help get their project started. Be a Champion! Do your part for the environment!
By doing your part for the environment, you could be awarded up to $2,000 and be featured in a TV commercial!
DHEC awards up to eight Champions of the Environment grants each school year. Smaller Merit and Seedling awards are available for runner-up projects. Winners are selected based on the quality of their environmental projects.
Projects must address one or more of the following: prevention or reduction of pollution in the air, water or land; waste reduction; restoration, preservation or enhancement of natural areas; water or energy efficiency. Projects must also educate the community and make a lasting difference to the environment.
Who Is Eligible?
- K-12 students, their teachers, and environmental educators carrying out an environmental project in South Carolina.
- One student or a student group of any size. Applicants that educate K-12 students outside of a formal classroom setting (such as an environmental education center) are encouraged to partner with a school, classroom, or teacher.
- A cash award of $2000 to use for their project
- Their project featured in a TV commercial
- Their project highlighted on this Champions' website
Merit and Seedling awardees receive a smaller cash award to use for their project.
Note: No additional application is needed to be considered for a Merit or Seedling award.